Monday, August 27, 2007

Breakfast at Tiffany's by Truman Capote

-posted on behalf of Erin Smith (NFCC student)

Breakfast at Tiffany's by Truman Capote
One of the best books I’ve read recently was the original Breakfast at Tiffany’s novella by Truman Capote. Of course, everyone is familiar with the movie starring Audrey Hepburn as the sophisticated waif, Holiday Golightly. I am a huge fan of the movie and adore Ms. Hepburn in the leading role and so I dived eagerly into the book Nearly all book are, of course, better than their Hollywood counterparts, but with Breakfast at Tiffany’s I was surprised and just how much better Capote’s novella was. The movie was very different from the novella; they contained many of the same storylines and scenes, but the overlying feel was very different. Many of the subplots from the book were eliminated for the movie and the ending was changed entirely. I was a little surprised to find that on the very first page of the novella the movie ending was thrown completely out of the window, but by the time I had finished the novella, I was far more satisfied with it’s ending than the movie’s ending. I highly recommend it.

1 comment:

Heather Shimmin said...

Breakfast at Tiffany's is a delightful novelette. Then again, I recommend ANY book written by Truman Capote. The film is quite close to the book, with the major difference being the story is told from Truman's point of view, not Fred Baby's.