Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Frederick Douglass: A Slave Narrative

Fredrick Douglas: A Slave Narrative was the book I read. I learned about his hardships as a slave. I liked how he was able to share his hard life by writing a book about himself. Michael

The Narrative of the Life of Fredrick Douglas made me aware of how bad life as a slave really was. I have lived in the south my entire life, and I never really understood what privileges were taken away from slaves such as reading, writing, eating, clothing, and more. We take our simple pleasures for granted every day. Katey

The book that changed my life was The Narrative of the Life of Fredrick Douglas. It taught me about the source of much of the racism that is present today. I saw how other races were treated . . . I learned that some races were treated very harshly. That is why this book changed my life. Evan

The book that I read which had the most influence on me was The Narrative of the Life of Fredrick Douglas. It gave me a better outlook on life, and explained slavery. Thinking on what those before us had to endure to get us as black Americans the freedom that we have today, makes me appreciate my life more. Often we complain about so much today, but the truth of the matter is, there is no comparison of our lives with those of our ancestors. We as white and black have come so far, but we still have so far to go. A book like Fredrick Douglas can teach us to learn to live with one another and to have respect for all mankind. Clint

The story about Fredrick Douglas’ life really inspired me. This book taught me that no matter where you come from no matter what your background, no matter what your race, if you keep believing and keep driving on, despite the hard times you encounter, everyone can succeed . . . Julian

No comments: